How Much Can I Get From an Uninsured Motorist Claim?

Find Out How Much You Can Get From Your Uninsured Motorist Insurance Policy When You Want To Make a Claim

Imagine you’re driving, and someone hits your car. After the incident, you find out the person has no auto insurance. You might have to handle the damage inflicted on you and your vehicle. However, when you have an uninsured motorist insurance policy, it can come to your rescue. Uninsured motorist insurance helps cover the damages you incur when the other party responsible for your accident has no insurance policy.

However, the compensation you might get from your uninsured motorist claim is not unlimited. Every auto insurance policy has a limit, so the maximum amount your insurance company will pay you will be limited. As a policyholder, the compensation you will get from your claim depends on your insurance provider, policy, and the amount you need to fix your incurred damages.

Making an uninsured motorist claim for damages from an accident is straightforward. You can contact your insurance company, which will send an adjuster to assess your case and determine how much compensation you need to cover your losses. While dealing with your insurer, having a personal injury lawyer can be beneficial.

Our personal injury attorneys can help you determine the actual value of your case and ensure that your insurer doesn’t undervalue your claim. When you have our attorneys by your side, they can help fight for you and make sure you get your insurance claim in full. Therefore, if you or your loved one has been involved in an incident and want to file an uninsured motorist claim or you filed one and it was denied, we can help.

Contact us at (775) 322-6636 (Reno) or (702)507-0201 (Las Vegas) to learn how.

Why hire our uninsured motorist coverage lawyers?

Leverty & Associates Law has highly skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced lawyers ready to dedicate their knowledge, skills, and expertise to work your case in your favor.  We have a combined experience of more than four decades of legally supporting, advising, and advocating for clients who need legal assistance.

We know how insurance companies work and can help you tackle them.

We will update you on every step we take regarding your case, ensuring you understand these steps and why you need them. Your legal needs will always be at the forefront of everything we do concerning your case, and we will protect your rights. Contact us at (775) 322-6636 (Reno) or (702)507-0201 (Las Vegas); we offer free consultations.

How much can I get from an uninsured motorist claim?

As a policyholder, when you file an uninsured motorist claim, your coverage depends on a few things. Some of them are:

Your insurance policy limits

Your insurance policy has a limit. The insurance policy limit is the maximum amount your insurance provider will shell out for a claim. The minimum uninsured motorist insurance requirements in Nevada are $25,000 per person, $50,000 per accident for bodily injury, and $20,000 for property damage.

However, individuals can choose to go above the minimum coverage amounts when obtaining automobile insurance. The amount they choose will represent the maximum sum the insurance company will pay for a covered claim. Opting for higher coverage amounts incurs more significant costs.

Consequently, some drivers opt for minimal coverage limits, while others may even forgo insurance coverage altogether due to the associated expenses. Generally, when you incur damage worth $100,000 and have the minimum coverage limit for your uninsured motorist insurance policy, you can only get what your insurance policy can cover, even if it is not up to $100,000.

Our attorneys can evaluate your circumstances and estimate the compensation you can receive.

The other party’s insurance coverage

After a car accident, there is a period of assessment to ascertain the nature and the extent of injuries, the value of the claim, and the limits of the other driver’s insurance coverage. If the at-fault driver does not have an insurance policy, you can file a claim through your uninsured motorist coverage, with your insurance provider disbursing damages up to the limit of your insurance policy.

In cases where the at-fault driver possesses insurance but the coverage amount is inadequate to cover the full extent of your damages, your underinsured motorist insurance will cover the portion of your claim that exceeds the policy limits of the other driver’s insurance policy, up to the limits of your policy.


The valuation of your personal injury claim also depends on the nature and extent of your injuries and the associated medical expenses. During the assessment of an injury claim, the insurance adjuster will consider some factors that add up to your economic losses. The insurance adjuster will also assess your non-economic losses, that is, the damages that cannot be quantified, like pain and suffering. They will take account of the duration and severity of the pain you experienced and the impact of the injuries on your daily life. The following are some damages that the insurance provider might take into account:

  • Medical expenses: This consists of your medical bills. In the case where an ongoing treatment is required, future medical bills will also be included.
  • Property damage: This typically covers expenses for car repairs or replacement if the vehicle is deemed a total loss.
  • Pain and suffering: This refers to the physical and mental distress or anguish experienced due to the accident.
  • Permanent disability or disfigurement: Damages may be awarded for lasting physical impairment or disfigurement resulting from the injuries sustained in the accident.
  • Loss of enjoyment of life: If the injuries incurred render the individual unable to maintain the lifestyle they used to enjoy before the accident, compensation may be sought for the resulting loss of quality of life.

Get help from Leverty & Associates Law

At Leverty & Associates Law, we have more than forty years of experience and knowledge that has helped us work well for our clients. We will also commit our skills and experience to helping you in your legal case. If you need a team of attorneys to help, we are the ones to call. Contact us at (775) 322-6636 (Reno) or (702)507-0201 (Las Vegas) for a free consultation.

Attorney Patrick Leverty

Attorney Patrick LevertyWith his master’s in insurance law, Patrick routinely helps individuals and businesses who are having issues with their insurance company. He also has extensive experience with personal injury actions, complex tort actions, product liability matters, and class actions. Patrick Leverty is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell (the highest rating) and has been granted membership in the Million Dollar Advocate Forum, and Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum. Patrick Leverty has been certified as a Personal Injury Specialist by the State Bar of Nevada. [ Attorney Bio ]