Pedestrian Accidents Are Life Changing
Undoubtedly, walking on a sidewalk should be one of the safest things you can do. But, as noted above, simply strolling through Reno can prove to be a hazard. Each year, the number of injured pedestrians in the city is mind-boggling. In some cases, they are victims of those operating motor vehicles and, in some cases, even bicycles, negligently. While in others, local governments may be at fault for not maintaining roads or traffic lights. If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in Reno, it’s crucial to seek the assistance of a Reno motorcycle accident lawyer.
Those who are victims may be entitled to compensation under Nevada’s personal injury laws. While the claims can be challenging to prove, settlements are possible. Engaging the services of the experienced Reno pedestrian accident lawyer at Leverty & Associates can help result in a positive outcome. Our team will review the evidence, determine the validity of your case, and manage the entire legal process on your behalf.
Reach out to us today at (775) 322-6636 to arrange for a free consultation.
Leverty & Associates – Why Choose Us?
We Are Experienced Pedestrian Injury Lawyers in Reno
At Leverty & Associates, our personal injury team under the direction of Patrick Leverty, one of our lead attorneys, focuses on helping businesses and individuals who are having problems with their insurance companies. His master’s degree in insurance law uniquely qualifies him to negotiate with insurance companies in personal injury cases (including those where pedestrians have been hurt).
In addition to hands-on experience, Patrick and his team are incredibly knowledgeable, not only regarding the complex personal injury laws but also in how the local court system operates. They leverage this knowledge to ensure all necessary paperwork is filed correctly and in accordance with the Statute of Limitations
Limitationsand to facilitate positive negotiations and litigation.
Our firm strongly believes that innocent pedestrians injured as a result of the negligence of other individuals or organizations should be fairly compensated for their losses. We put all the resources of our firm to work on their behalf, striving to maximize their compensation.
Patrick has received the highest rating from Martindale Hubbell and is a member of the Million Dollar Advocate Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum. Additionally, he is a certified personal injury specialist, certified by the State Bar of Nevada. Under his direction, our firm has secured over $150 million for our clients in many kinds of personal injury cases, including pedestrian accidents. We are proud of our success and committed to working hard for all our clients.
Many insurance companies will take you, the plaintiff, more seriously when a pedestrian accident lawyer represents you. A Reno pedestrian injury attorney can help you in many other ways, explaining the case intricacies so that you can participate in your claim.
How We Can Help
We Manage the Details So You Don’t Have To
Choosing the right pedestrian accident attorney for your Reno personal injury lawsuit can make a big difference, not just in whether you win, but also in your settlement size. The Leverty & Associates legal team can help Build Your Case and has the experience you need every step of the way. You can count on us to:
- Identity All Responsible Parties: Quite often, multiple parties are responsible for an accident. Of course, there is the driver that struck you. Additionally, the City of Reno may have failed to correctly label a crosswalk or maintain safe pedestrian crossing zones. And, if you were hit by a commercial driver, the carrier company and the driver may both have impacted your accident. Your Reno pedestrian accident attorney will help ensure that every party who contributed to your accident is held accountable for their actions.
- Build the Case Against the At-Fault Driver: Building a solid case is the basis for maximizing personal injury compensation. As your Reno pedestrian accident lawyer, we will conduct a full investigation into your claim, including interviewing witnesses and identifying video footage of the accident. We also use the police report to help establish fault – even considering whether the driver was cited for driving under the influence or distracted driving.
- Calculate the Totality of Your Losses: Insurance company representatives may approach you right after the accident with a time-sensitive settlement offer. While it may be appealing to accept it and move on, especially if you aren’t able to work because of your injuries, you really should wait and refer them to your personal injury attorney. In most cases, this offer will be low and likely not cover all the medical bills and ongoing treatment you need. At Leverty & Associates, we help our clients recognize all of their Damages including those they have not yet experienced. We want to make sure that the compensation we request satisfies all of your losses.
- Negotiate on Your Behalf with the Insurance Company: The defendant’s insurance carrier will pay for the damages in nearly all personal injury cases. Pedestrian accident cases are often settled in mediation, where your pedestrian accident attorney negotiates with the other party’s insurance company. With his background in insurance law, Patrick Leverty is uniquely qualified to negotiate skillfully on your behalf. Our team handles all communication for you – simply refer any calls you receive to our office.
- Represent You in Court if Necessary: While the majority of pedestrian accident cases are settled in the negotiation phase, there are times when an appropriate agreement cannot be reached. We will fight tirelessly on your behalf, aggressively representing you if your case goes to court.
If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident due to the negligence of another person or organization, clearly there is a lot to do. When you engage the team at Leverty & Associates you can rest assured that we will manage your case from beginning to end, always keeping you in the loop so you know exactly where your case stands. We appreciate the stress you are under and do our best to alleviate as much of it as possible.
What to Expect After a Reno Pedestrian Accident
Pedestrians Suffer Most When Involved in a Traffic Accident
Severe injuries are common after a Reno pedestrian accident. Because people on foot don’t have the same metal cage of protection that drivers of a car or truck do, they sustain much more severe injuries, often with life-changing consequences. In such unfortunate situations, it’s crucial to reach out to a qualified attorney who specializes in handling cases like these. A Reno truck accident attorney can provide the legal expertise and support you need during this challenging time.
Common Reno pedestrian accident injuries include:
- Concussion or Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI.)
- Spinal cord, back, or neck injuries, including whiplash.
- Involuntary amputation or loss of the use of limbs.
- Broken bones or fractures.
- Crushing injuries or internal organ damage.
- “Road Rash,” deep damage to the upper layers of the dermis.
Just one of these injuries could permanently change your life, compromising your ability to live independently, work, or enjoy the hobbies and activities you used to love. But most pedestrians suffer a combination of these injuries, leaving them in the hospital or requiring surgery and physical therapy to recover. You can trust our experienced Reno pedestrian injury lawyer to build your case and maximize your compensation.
Understanding Pedestrian Accidents
Facts and Statistics About Reno Pedestrian Accidents
Whether you’re a Reno native or one of the city’s thousands of annual visitors, traveling by foot is a great way to get around the city. The weather is often pleasant and sunny, making walking a viable option. Places like downtown, Plumas, and Wells Avenue neighborhoods have a high walkability score, and many residents and tourists often walk to their destinations.
According to statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), Nevada ranked #10 In The Nation for pedestrian accident deaths per 100,000 people. Furthermore, Washoe County, of which Reno is the county seat, had 12 fatalities, the second-highest number of pedestrian fatalities in the state in 2020.
Even if a pedestrian doesn’t die from being struck by a Reno driver, they can suffer significant injuries. If you’ve been hit by a car, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your losses. A Reno pedestrian accident attorney can evaluate your case and determine whether you qualify to file a personal injury lawsuit against the driver that struck you.
Nevada Laws for Pedestrians
Nevada allows pedestrians to have the Right of Way at intersections where a traffic signal allows them to cross and in crosswalks. However, pedestrians using crosswalks must exhibit caution when entering the space, ensuring that approaching vehicles can stop on time so they may safely proceed.
If a driver strikes a pedestrian legally crossing a street, the driver is considered at fault for the injuries. However, the case can be more complicated in cases where the right of way isn’t as clear.
Part of the job of your pedestrian accident lawyer is to determine who is at fault and who will be named as a defendant in your personal injury case
Although Nevada Law allows pedestrians specified right of way in crosswalks and other designated crossing areas, it also restricts pedestrian crossings in certain places. For example, jaywalking, which is walking outside the crosswalk, is illegal, and pedestrians can be fined or cited for doing so.
Furthermore, if you’re struck by a car when jaywalking, it could be more difficult for your Reno pedestrian injury attorney to successfully prosecute your injury claim. Pedestrians are required to yield the right of way to vehicle operators if they’re crossing at any other point besides a marked crosswalk or an intersection with an unmarked crosswalk. At Leverty & Associates, our Reno pedestrian injury lawyer understands the laws and knows how to prove negligence. We are ready to go to work for you immediately.
Hazards for Reno Pedestrians
As one of the most dangerous states for pedestrian accidents, Reno’s streets have plenty of hazards for the unwary foot traveler. Understanding some of those which you may face while walking can make you more aware of your surroundings, so you avoid being hit by a car or truck while walking along the University District or Wells Avenue Corridor, the “Bungalow District.”
- Poorly Lit Intersections: Good lighting can make a big difference in safety, even when cars are using headlights at night. Unfortunately, many residential areas in Reno have sparse streetlights, and some crossing areas may be too dim to safely determine how close an approaching vehicle is.
- Crosswalk Issues: Some crosswalks, even in the walkable Old Southwest or Idlewild Park areas, may be spaced too far apart, increasing the odds that someone may cross the street at an unmarked location instead of “taking the long way.”
- Wide Lanes on roads Encourage High Speeds: Nevada has long stretches of highway with very high-speed limits; even in cities, drivers often exceed posted limits. Wide lanes in the busier thoroughfares may pose dangers for pedestrians trying to cross the street, as drivers tend to go faster when the lanes are broad, and the roads are straight. Furthermore, the right turn lanes of these roads may take drivers straight through intersections when pedestrians are trying to cross.
Our team is well aware of these conditions and can review them to see if they had an impact on your accident.
Have you or someone you love been struck by a car while walking in Reno? A Reno pedestrian injury lawyer can help. Leverty & Associates Law is a professional team of personal injury lawyers who know how to help victims of serious accidents get the justice they deserve. Contact us today at (775) 322-6636 for a free consultation about your case.
Frequently Asked Questions About Reno Pedestrian Traffic Accidents
Reno Pedestrian Accident Attorney Provides Answers
Our team understands that every pedestrian traffic accident case is different; we give each of our clients our full attention. That said, most of these cases follow a similar pattern, thus many of our clients raise the same questions. Below we have shared some of the most popular questions our clients have, along with our responses.
How much is my Reno pedestrian accident claim worth?
The amount that your Reno pedestrian injury lawyer will ask for is dependent on the total of your medical bills (including aftercare like surgery or physical therapy), necessary modifications to your home or vehicle in order to allow you to live independently because of the limitations of your injuries, and lost wages and benefits. Additionally, in Nevada, you’re also entitled to compensatory damages for any pain and suffering, and emotional trauma you experienced after the accident.
What does “pain and suffering” mean?
Pain and suffering are considered “non-economic” damages – that is, damages that you can’t easily quantify. Under Nevada law, plaintiffs are entitled to seek both non-economic and economic (like medical bills) damages in a personal injury case. Essentially, pain and suffering damages provide compensation for the effects your injuries have on your life. Being struck by a car hurts! The pain can affect your ability to work or go to school and may even affect your mood and personality.
Furthermore, many people who have been hit by a car experience significant emotional trauma and mental anguish and may even develop PTSD or other mental health concerns, like anxiety or depression. Non-economic damages compensate for that damage and can provide funds to help you seek treatment to ease the pain and PTSD symptoms. Your pedestrian injury attorney can help identify all your damages.
How much will a Reno pedestrian accident attorney cost?
Many pedestrian industry lawyers, like those at Leverty & Associates, work on a contingency basis, meaning we only collect attorney’s fees if we win your case. Your lawyer fee will be a percentage of the final settlement.
Who is most at risk of suffering a pedestrian accident?
Older people and children have the highest risk of being hit by a car. Elderly people may move slowly and often have slower response times to get out of the way of oncoming vehicles, while children may be too small to see approaching cars or may impulsively run out into the road.
If my loved one died after being hit by a car in Reno, can I file a lawsuit?
Yes, in this case, your Reno wrongful death lawyer will file a wrongful death lawsuit. You would be entitled to much of the same damages as a personal injury suit along with the opportunity to recoup the costs of funeral expenses and any potential loss of earnings of your loved one.
If you don’t see the answer to your question here, don’t worry. We will cover every concern that you have about your case when we have a one-on-one conversation with you. Reach out to us at (775) 322-6636 to schedule a consultation.
Our Reno Pedestrian Injury Attorneys Are Here for You
Contact Us Today
Pedestrian accidents are physically and emotionally costly. If you or a loved one has been injured while walking in Reno, you may be entitled to compensation. But this is not a process you can handle yourself. The laws are confusing, and the legal process is complicated. Our pedestrian injury attorney is well-positioned to guide you down this road. We handle the time-consuming legal process while you focus on your recovery.
We understand and appreciate your situation and are ready to go to work for you immediately. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and learn just how powerfully we can represent you.
“Patrick is a great lawyer, he helped me with my case and solved a great problem, thanks to him and his quick response time we won the case thanks, could not have done it without him.” – Lloyd Fellon (Google Review)