Attorney Patrick Leverty
Personal Injury Specialist
Attorney Patrick Leverty possesses nearly two decades of experience successfully representing clients. He specializes in insurance bad faith and personal injury cases. He is committed to achieving the best outcomes possible for clients who have been injured or wronged by the negligence and bad actions of others.
Mr. Leverty joined the firm in the fall of 2004. Prior to that, he served as a judicial law clerk for the Honorable Janet Berry in the Second Judicial District Court in Reno. Mr. Leverty is rated AV by Martindale Hubbell (the highest rating) and has been granted membership in the Million Dollar Advocate Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocate Forum. He is included in Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America, 4th edition for 2024. Peers around the nation value Mr. Leverty’s highly skilled representation and unwavering dedication to his clients. Their recognition of the service he provides led to this esteemed award. He is certified as a Personal Injury Specialist by the State Bar of Nevada.
“I love helping clients through difficult situations. Being able to use the law to get justice for citizens who have been wronged is deeply satisfying. I’m always learning something new every day, and I’m able to use this knowledge to help others.”
Mr. Leverty received a Master of Laws (LL.M.) in Insurance from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 2010. He earned his Juris Doctor Degree (J.D.) from Seattle University School of Law, in Seattle, Washington, where he graduated cum laude. He obtained his Bachelor of Arts Degree in Business-Economics and History from the University of California at Santa Barbara.
With his Master’s in insurance law, Mr. Leverty possesses unique legal skills and can help businesses and individuals navigate challenges with their insurance companies. He also has extensive experience with personal injury actions, complex tort actions, product liability matters, and class actions.
When not in the office, he enjoys spending time with his wife and children. He is active in the community and is president of the board of the Reno Aquatic Club. He is an avid swimmer and competes every August in the Donner Lake Swim, a 2.7-mile swim in a cold lake at an elevation of 6,000 feet. He also enjoys skiing, backpacking, and spending time outdoors.
Learn more about us.
- J.D. – Seattle University, Sullivan School of Law, Cum Laude
- LL.M., Insurance Law – University of Connecticut School of Law
- B.S. – University of California at Santa Barbara
- Washington State Bar, 2003
- Nevada State Bar, 2004
- California State Bar, 2005
Professional Recognition & Awards
- Mountain States Super Lawyer – Rising Stars Edition, Insurance Coverage (2011-2017)
- Personal Injury Specialist – State Bar of Nevada (March 2016- March 2021)
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 100 Trial Lawyers – Nevada
- The National Trial Lawyers – Top 10 Insurance Bad Faith Trial Lawyers Association
- America’s Top 100 Attorneys
- Legal Elite – Top Northern Nevada Attorneys, Nevada Business Magazine (2012-2016, 2019)
- Mountain States Super Lawyer – Insurance Coverage – (2022-2023)
Professional Memberships & Activities
- Nevada State Board of Governors – (2022-2024)
- Nevada Justice Association – Past-President (2019-2020)
- President (2018-present)
- President-Elect (2017-2018)
- Vice President (2016-2017)
- Treasurer (2015-2016)
- Secretary (2014-2015)
- Board of Governors (2009-present)
- Insurance & Health Law Section, Chair (2015-2017)
- Insurance & Health Law Section, Vice Chair (2013-2015)
- Insurance & Health Law Section, Secretary (2011-2012)
- Insurance & Health Law Section, CLE Chair (2010-2011)
- American Association of Justice
- Washoe County Bar Association
- Jury awards $4.5 million for insurer’s bad faith
- Class Action Suit Settled Against Irrigation District for Fernley Flood
- Lawsuit Against Renown granted class-action status
- Hertz v. Hartford Life & Accident Ins. Co., 991 F. Supp. 2d. 1121 (D. Nev. Jan. 9, 2014)
- Renown Reg’l Med. Ctr. v. Second Judicial Dist. Court, 130 Nev. Adv. Rep. 80, 335 P.3d 199 (October 2, 2014)
- “Failure to Settle: Third-Party Lawsuits,” Presenter, Nevada Justice Association seminar (Reno, June 18, 2015)
- “Hot Topics in Insurance Law,” Presenter, State Bar of Nevada Annual Meeting (Newport Beach, California, July 11, 2014)
- “Basics to Analysis of Insurance Coverage – Primary to Bad Faith,” Presenter, State Bar of Nevada seminar (Las Vegas, January 15, 2014
- “Advanced Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Law,” Presenter, National Business Institute seminar (Reno, December 19, 2013)
Patrick Leverty has authored or co-authored a number of articles on insurance law:
- “Absolute Liability for Automobile Insurers” published in the September/October 2015 Issue of the Advocate.
- “Aiding and Abetting Bad Faith” published in the July/August 2014 Issue of the Advocate.
- “ERISA Discovery for the Nevada Plaintiff” published in the May/June 2013 Issue of the Advocate.
- “2011 Nevada Supreme Court Decisions Relating to Property And Casualty Insurance” published in the May/June 2012 Issue of the Advocate.
- “What You Need to Know about a Nevada Insured’s Duty to Cooperate in a First-Party Insurance Claim” published in the May/June 2011 Issue of the Advocate.
- “Can a Risk Retention Group Cover Contract Liability? A Legal Analysis of the 1986 Liability Risk Retention Act” published in the Forum – Risk Retention Reporter 2009.
- “Full Disclosure of Producer Compensation: The Cheapest E&O Insurance” published in the Winter 2008 FORC Journal; and
- “Confusion Abounds Subrogation/Reimbursement in Health Insurance Policies and Plans” published in the March 2006 edition of Nevada Lawyer.